Slide 1
AMBROSIA HALL
Located on the corner of the A377 and Kelland Hill, the building served as a staff social hall but was also widely used for village events. After the factory closed in 1974 it became an antiques centre before its eventual demolition.
Slide 1
TENNIS CUP
Gerald Heath and Dennis Westaway receiving the annually-awarded cup. The factory had its own tennis courts up Kelland hill behind the social hall.
Slide 1
BILL SUTTON
1957. Bill and Mary Sutton (with flowers) receive a chair to mark Bill's 25 years as factory manager. He continued to the mid-1960s. On the factory closure, the large royal portrait went to the Malt Scoop Inn and now hangs in Victory Hall.
Slide 1
BILL SUTTON
Oscar Morris congratulates Bill Sutton on 25 years as factory manager. Oscar was Ambrosia's General Manager and son of company founder, Alfred Morris. Behind is Leonard Walters a milk-drying operator who lived at Barris, Lapford.
Slide 1
OSWALD SANDERCOCK
1949 Bill Sutton presents a clock to Oswald and Lena Sandercock in recognition of Oswald's long service as an Ambrosia lorry driver. They remained in Lapford after retirement and are buried in St Thomas churchyard.
Slide 1
STAFF PHOTOGRAPH
Probably taken in the late-1930s. May show the analytical and development group. Note the uniform short sleeve tops (temperatures in the drying plant were high) and fashionable pleated trousers
Slide 1
STAFF KITCHEN
Cleaning up after after a staff party. Possibly 1957. Pat Sandercock is to the right
Slide 1
STAFF PARTY
1958
Slide 1
AMBROSIA HOME GUARD
The factory established its own platoon. There was some fierce rivalry with the village Home Guard! Factory Manager, Bill Sutton, is seated 5th from left.
Slide 1
ANNUAL DINNER
Ambrosia Social Hall, about 1947
Slide 1
ANNUAL DINNER
Ambrosia Social Hall, about 1947
Slide 1
ANNUAL DINNER
Ambrosia Social Hall, about 1947
Slide 1
THE ANNUAL DINNER
This particular dinner (date and venue unknown) appears to combine the Lifton and Lapford sites. Over 170 were present. Entertainment included a dance band although more than 85% of the gathering were men!
Slide 1
Sport
The factory had its own cricket, football and darts teams that competed separately to the Lapford village teams. The log book for one cricket season still survives.
Slide 1
TENNIS COURT
The Ambrosia tennis court was located behind the social hall just up Kelland hill on the site of today's appropriately named Kelland Court. It could accessed from the factory by a track that ran where Ambrosia Close is now sited.
Slide 1
MAP
Lapfod Cross, showing Ambrosia Social Hall and Tennis Courts
Slide 1
AMBROSIA LADIES
Taken about 1953-1955
Slide 1
AMBROSIA LADIES
Forewomen are denoted with and asterisk

"We used to
sing whilst we worked ...
we all had a laugh and were really happy."

next arrow
previous arrow